6th July 2023
This week we have:
- In Maths we have focused on weight. Light and heavy and comparison. Initially we have looked at objects that might be heavy and then moved on to comparing weights. We explored the balancing scales and discussed that the heavier side goes down...like a see-saw. We used natural objects to compare their weight on the scales.
- Used lots of Fred Talk in our phonics time, listening to the sounds in words and learned the first set of sounds in the Read Write Inc phonics scheme, we have also been starting to write the letters too.
- Shared the story "I'd Rather Go To Grandad's" by Ian Whybrow and Sarah Massini
- Read other fiction and non fiction books about lighthouses and the seaside
- Used the sentences during our busy morning jobs for example 'Today is Monday, the weather is sunny'...
- Worked as a team to construct water shoots for a boats to slide down
- Investigated what lighthouses were used for and discussed that they acted as a warning for boats, letting them know where they were and if there were dangerous waters nearby. The purpose of a lighthouse is to prevent boat crashes. Lighthouses are positioned on the coastline, at points that have been marked as dangerous or important.
- Made our own model lighthouse using junk modelling and various materials
- As part of our learning in RE we have been learning about Special Celebrations and that they are happy occasions. This we have learnt that weddings are special celebration for people who love each other and that can take place in a church.